The Role of the School Counselor
School counselors are certified/licensed educators who improve student success for ALL students by implementing a comprehensive school counseling program (ASCA, 2023).
As the school counselor at Ritchen Elementary, I manage and deliver a data-driven, developmentally appropriate, and research-based comprehensive school counseling program that supports ALL students' academic, social, emotional, and college/career development.
Some of the services I provide are:
- school counseling classroom lessons
- short term individual counseling
- small group counseling
- referrals to community agencies for mental health and substance abuse resources
- collaboration with families/teachers/administrators/staff/community agencies for student success
- advocacy for students at student-focused & student progress meetings
- responsive services
- restorative justice circles
- community circles
- crisis response
- data analysis to identify student issues, needs, and challenges
- meeting with students who are referred by their teacher, parent, staff member, or who self-refer for school counseling
- school wide events to promote students' well-being and success
- Wellness Wednesday activities
It is important to know that the school counselor is not a therapist, and does not provide therapy.
If you would like to contact me regarding your child, please email me at email@example.com or you can send me a message through Parent Square. If you need to report bullying, please submit the report via WeTip. In case of an emergency, please call 911.