McKinna Elementary School Reconstruction
McKinna Elementary School was constructed in 1954, and today is comprised of 17 permanent and 14 portable classrooms. It is among the oldest schools in the District and the Master Construct Program prioritized the reconstruction of the McKinna campus with an entirely new set of facilities, built according to modern State codes, District specifications, and 21st century educational program requirements.
New facilities include a two-story classroom building, library, administration space, multipurpose room, playfields, hard courts, and support spaces. Conceptually, the new school would be constructed in the current play field areas allowing for instruction to continue at the older facility until completion of the replacement school construction. The new facility will be accessed from a new parking and drop-off provided at “N” Street. Once completed, the older structures would be demolished and new play fields and remaining support facilities would be constructed in their place.
Pursuant to a competitive Request for Proposals process, selection of IBI Architects to perform design services for the project, and conceptual design was approved by the Board in April 2017. Design of the project has been advanced, with the project anticipated to be submitted to DSA for review by October 2017. Bernards was selected to perform preconstruction and construction services for the project, following a public process in compliance with approved procedures for selecting Lease Lease-Back firms.