State Testing Information: April 30-May 18, 2018 (Grades 3-5)
The State of California has created resources for parents to help them understand the State Testing program for students. Parent Guides for the Smarter Balanced Summative Assessments are found at the following websites:Grades 3-5 English http://www.cde.ca.gov/ta/tg/ca/documents/sbparentgde35.pdf
The purpose of the Parent Guide is to provide information about the Smarter Balanced Summative Assessments, including sample test items for English language arts/literacy (ELA) and mathematics. This information will help parents better understand their children�s test results. The Smarter Balanced Summative Assessments are part of the California Assessment of Student Performance and Progress (CAASPP) System.
Summative AssessmentsEvery spring, students in grades three through eight and grade eleven take the Smarter Balanced Summative Assessments. Results from these assessments are just one piece of information to help teachers, parents/guardians, and students understand how well a student is meeting the grade-level standards. The tests determine students� progress toward college and career readiness in English language arts/literacy and math. The summative assessments:
- Accurately describe both student achievement (how much students know at the end of the year) and student growth (how much students have improved since the previous year) to inform program evaluation and school, district, and state accountability systems
- Include writing at every grade and ask students to solve multi-step, real-world problems in mathematics; and
- Capitalize on the strengths of computer adaptive testing: efficient and precise measurement with a quick turnaround of results.
The California Science Test (CAST) will be field tested this year (no reported scores). Information can be found at: http://www.cde.ca.gov/ta/tg/ca/ caasppscience.asp
Understanding Student Score Reports
Once your child has taken the test, you will receive a Student Score Report. Guides and samples to assist you in understanding this report are found at this website: http://www.cde.ca.gov/ta/tg/ca/caasppssreports.asp
- How the Online Smarter Balanced Assessments are different from previous California tests.
- How student performance is reported
- Student performance in English/ Language Arts with sample test items
- Student performance in Mathematics with sample test items
- Additional resources